Re: [idn] Comparisons of the proposals

Pushing part of the problem (charset registration) onto the IANA w/o
lots of additional work on the IETFs part is not likely to work.
Much better to let the IANA reference other registration bodies work.

% Dan wrote:
% > You mean allowing something else than UTF-8 on the wire?
% > First you have to tag each string with information about what encoding
% > is used, second you have to make every DNS server handle those encodings.
% > Very difficult. We do not want character set taging. That is one thing that
% > makes handling MIME in e-mail so difficult.
%
% The question is why not? We could easily say allow any charset registered with
% IANA and tag it according to the number assigned by IANA. This allows both
% localized encodings and also UTF-8. We are also not forcing people to use
% Unicode (for those who really really hate Unicode).
%
% Anyway, I am just throwing out ideas...nothing else. :)
%
% Whatever the case, I think it is my responsibility remind everyone that we
% should be discussing the requirements document more than implementation doc at
% this moment.
%
% -James Seng
%