RE: [idn] Domain names and ASCII compatibility

At 03:27 PM 3/15/00 -0500, J. William Semich wrote:
>It is
>fundamentally impossible to move to a fully-functional idn and *not* have
>some (already broken) applications disfunction on the Internet. This
>language - "the current use and operation" - is too inclusive to be
>meaningful.

The charter is talking about *protocols*, not applications (WG chairs:
please correct me if I'm wrong here). Broken applications are, thankfully,
out of scope for this WG. Are you saying that you think "the current use
and operation in protocols" is too inclusive to be meaningful?

Hmmmm. Their summary message to this mailing list said:

>Issue 4: The requirement should concern with protocol, not
>implementation.
>We refer to 2.1 paragraph 1, on the phrase "DNS interoperability".

That's referring to the requirements document, not to the charter. The
requirements document was subsequently updated, and now reads:

>The DNS is essential to the entire Internet. Therefore, the protocol
>must not damage present DNS protocol interoperability. It must make the
>minimum number of changes to existing protocols on all layers of the
>stack.

There has been no proposals to amend that further, but the document is
obviously still open for discussion.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium