Re: [idn] universal typability

Hi,

Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:

> > Again I was thinking globally.  In a few years a 100 million mobile
> > phones in Europe (most without full keyboards) will be able to
> access
> > Asian sites, but won't have Asian fonts and input methods installed.
>
> > (Hell, current mobiles here don't even have decent European fonts
> and
> > input methods yet.)
>
> If you cannot read the Chinese served up, you might not be too
> interested in inputting a Chinese URL...

The site could be multilingual while the URL is (of course)
monolingual.  You know, the usual (Apache syntax):
Options MultiViews
AddLanguage fr .fr
AddLanguage zh .zh
LanguagePriority zh fr

So I could be interested in inputting a Chinese URL.

> > >      But complete gibberish can't ever (because of human
> > >      limitations) be understood and typed accurately (implies a
> > >      security risk BTW).
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.
> >
> > Instead of entering ideogram.jp, nonAsians may go for
> > verysimilar-ideogram.jp which may be run by hostiles.  Like eoke.com
>
> > spoofing traffic from coke.com.
>
> Yes, but I don't see how this WG could solve that in general.

The point is that i18n URI's (hostname and path) should have ASCII
equivalents as fallback so that universal access is possible (even if
%HH is somewhat geeky).

> > Example:
> > User types in www.gås.net
>
> Maybe, if he/she thinks that might be an interesting site.
>
> > or www.g%c3%a5s.net (or even
>
> Non-geek users won't type that.
>
> > www.gc--3a--5s.net)
>
> Nor that.

I disagree.  Imagine a best of the web radio program in Ireland: "oh
listeners, try the must view site at %XX%YY%ZZ.jp" (assuming this site
doesn't have a transliteration address).

> > The (free) transliteration could also be entered by the surfer:
> > www.gaas.net
>
> User might reluctantly type that.  (B.t.w. 'gås' means 'goos',
> while 'gaas' means 'gaas'. :-)

:-)

>                Kind regards
>                /kent k