RE: [idn] universal typability

Title: RE: [idn] universal typability

> Again I was thinking globally.  In a few years a 100 million mobile
> phones in Europe (most without full keyboards) will be able to access
> Asian sites, but won't have Asian fonts and input methods installed.
> (Hell, current mobiles here don't even have decent European fonts and
> input methods yet.)

If you cannot read the Chinese served up, you might not be too
interested in inputting a Chinese URL...

> >      But complete gibberish can't ever (because of human
> >      limitations) be understood and typed accurately (implies a
> >      security risk BTW).
> >
> > I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.
>
> Instead of entering ideogram.jp, nonAsians may go for
> verysimilar-ideogram.jp which may be run by hostiles.  Like eoke.com
> spoofing traffic from coke.com.

Yes, but I don't see how this WG could solve that in general.

> Example:
> User types in www.gås.net

Maybe, if he/she thinks that might be an interesting site.

> or www.g%c3%a5s.net (or even

Non-geek users won't type that.

> www.gc--3a--5s.net)

Nor that.

> The (free) transliteration could also be entered by the surfer:
> www.gaas.net

User might reluctantly type that.  (B.t.w. 'gås' means 'goos',
while 'gaas' means 'gaas'. :-)

                Kind regards
                /kent k