Re: [idn] Proposed suggestions from Asia Pacific Top LevelDomain meeting

> Mark's comment below about domain name vs. host name character restrictions
> made me wonder.  Please consider the following chain of RFC references,
> which seem to imply otherwise:
>
> RFC952: Describes host name syntax:
> "1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
> to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
> sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
> they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". (See
> RFC-921, "Domain Name System Implementation Schedule", for
> background).  No blank or space characters are permitted as part of a
> name. No distinction is made between upper and lower case.  The first
> character must be an alpha character.  The last character must not be
> a minus sign or period."
>
> RFC1035: Section 2.3.1 describes label syntax for domain names:

	Wrong. The title for Section 2.3.1 is "Preferred name
	syntax".  It describes a restricted subset of legal label
	that are unlikely to cause problems.  Any 8 bit values are
	allowed (Section 3) and there is a presentation syntax
	described mainly in Section 5 for how to represent non printing
	ascii characters.

> "<label> ::= <letter> [ [ <ldh-str> ] <let-dig> ]"
>
> RFC1101: Describes allowances for domain names that begin with a digit:
> "For these reasons, we assume that the syntax of network names will be
> the same as the expanded syntax for host names permitted in [HR].
> The new syntax expands the set of names to allow leading digits, so
> long as the resulting representations do not conflict with IP
> addresses in decimal octet form.  For example, 3Com.COM and 3M.COM
> are now legal, although 26.0.0.73.COM is not.  See [HR] for details."

	RFC1101 describes NETWORK NAMES not DOMAIN NAMES.
	Network names are a *subset* of domain names the same as
	host names are a subset of domain names.

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com