Re: [APTLD iname 24] Re: [idn] Proposed suggestions from Asia Pacific Top LevelDomain meeting

At 12:24 PM 3/6/00 -0700, mark.davis@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >Certainly, some characters should be disallowed. ISO 10646 includes many
>formatting characters, for instance; those should not be allowed because a
>user seeing a domain name would never know to enter them. Spacing
>characters should be disallowed because they would bring in deep confusion
>for someone viewing a domain name.
>
>I think you mean "non-spacing characters", since otherwise you would
>exclude "a-z"! I would also disagree with the sentence if changed to that,
>since perfectly valid names in many languages may contain non-spacing
>characters.

Actually, I didn't mean what I said or what you said. :-) I meant "space
characters", not "spacing characters". As in "horizontal or vertical white
space".

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium