Re: [idn] alpha v0.4

Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> Punctuation is sometimes used in names, unfortunately. We would need to go
> through each script in 10646 looking for what we think is punctuation, then
> ask representatives of all the languages that use those scripts if there
> are company or geographical or personal names that use any of the
> punctuation marks.

space (" ") and period (".") are also used in names. And it is theortically
possible for a label to have space and period in them, at least the wired
format for DNS packets allows it. so your argument couldnt hold here...

Aside, there are also many "space look-alike" characters in Unicode...

> This could be done, but it is likely to be done wrong if the IETF does it.
> Given that we all non-name use of hyphen and digits in the current syntax,
> why the desire to exclude these from other scripts?

Unfortunately, I have to agreed on this...

But I always have this belief. Been tough first, and you can relax the rules
later. Relax the rules now, and no way you can fix the problem in future.

-James Seng