Re: [idn] alpha v0.4

At 08:15 PM 2/21/00 +0000, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>Agree.  I think that punctuation and symbols should be kept out.
>Lets please stick to characters only normally used in words and names.

Punctuation is sometimes used in names, unfortunately. We would need to go
through each script in 10646 looking for what we think is punctuation, then
ask representatives of all the languages that use those scripts if there
are company or geographical or personal names that use any of the
punctuation marks.

This could be done, but it is likely to be done wrong if the IETF does it.
Given that we all non-name use of hyphen and digits in the current syntax,
why the desire to exclude these from other scripts?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium