Re: [idn] Re: An idn protocol for consideration in making the req uirements

	The problem is not that the servers will die, not that many will
	anyway as it has always been a requirement that they cope with
	8 bits in labels.  Upgrading servers, if required, is the easy part.

	What is hard is fixing gethostbyaddr().  Gethostbyaddr() quite
	correctly validates its input today and rejects non RFC-592 /
	RFC-1123 names.

	Similarly gethostbyname().

	Changing the C library involves dealing with a lot of inertia.
	Schemes which augment the C library rather than modifying it
	are much likely to succeed.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com