RE: [idn] RE: An idn protocol for consideration in making the requirements

At 08:52 00/02/04 -0800, ned.freed@innosoft.com wrote:
> > At 02:13 PM 2/4/00 +0100, Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:
> > >I would like to have as a REQUIREMENT that IDN does NOT
> > >invent its own encoding, but uses one that is, or is
> > >expected to be, used just about everyhere else too.
>
> > Can you give a technical reason for that requirement? Or is it just for
> > aesthetic value (which I certainly agree it would have)?
>
> I agree that it has aesthetic appeal, but I'm strongly opposed to such
> a requirement. Again the problem is that this constrains the solution
> space in ways not necessary for things to work. Indeed, it may turn out
> that other requirements can only be met by defining a new character
> encoding scheme (CES).

I think that all else equal, it is clearly better not to define
something new. And there are good arguments besides aesthetics for it.
So this requirement should stay in, but as a Should, not a Must.

> I do support a requirement that IDN not be allowed to define a new coded
> character set (CCS). We aren't in the business of defining such things, and
> overall lack the technical skills to do so.

Yes indeed.    Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org