Re: [idn] Requirements: sorting

Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com> writes:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> > I couldn't find any requirement in RFC 1034 or RFC 1035 that required
> > sorting by names. Is this requirement in any other DNS standard?
>
> DNSSEC requires sorting.

Not of domain names, only the representation of domain names as sent
on-the-wire. There is a difference, and if the encoding choosen here
is non-ambiguous we won't have to deal with sorting since the
"canoncial order" described in rfc2535 will work.

Let's just place a requirement that the encoding chosen should be
non-ambiguous and we don't have to deal with the sorting jack-in-a-box
(unless something else require real sorting, of course).