[idn] Requirements: caching servers

Paragraph 3 of section 2.1 says:

>The protocol should also allow creation of caching servers that do not
>understand the charset in which a request or response is encoded. Such
>caching servers should work as well for IDNs as they do for current
>domain names. The caching server performs correctly if it gives the
>essentially the same answer (without the authoritative bit) as the
>master server would have if presented with the same request.

I propose we remove this requirement. It puts a burden on the caching
server that I don't think should be there. If IDN has only one encoding,
this is a non-issue and confusing. If IDN has more than one encoding, I
think that all caching servers should be able to resolve any requests
immediately and not have to pass off the request to someone who knows about
the encoding.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium