Re: [idn] Re: IDN Charter

At 09:32 02-02-00 , James Seng wrote:
>Hi Dan,
>
>I believe anyone in the right mind would expect that some changes have to
>occurs in order to do IDN. However, the basis principle "resolve any domain
>names anywhere" of DNS is an important issue for IESG and IAB.
>
>While your proposed version has much more details, the basic spirit is the
>same. Therefore, I think your version is probably more appropriate in the
>requirement document. Lets not clutter the charters with the details.

I disagree.  Dan's version can be interpreted as not requiring backwards
compatibility with the installed base.  Backwards compatibility is an
operational necessity because it is not possible to change or upgrade
all DNS software at the same time.  Any changes in the operational
system (e.g. from BIND 8 to a hypothetical future BIND 24) will happen
incrementally over time.

>Dan Oscarsson wrote:
> > A fundamental requirement in this work is to not disturb the current
> > use and operation of the domain name system, and for the current
> > implementation of DNS to continue to allow any system anywhere
> > to resolve any domain name using ASCII only names. To get full semantics
> > (like case-insensitive matches) for international domain names an
> > upgrade of DNS software may be needed.

Ran
rja@inet.org