[idn] Re: IDN Charter

>I recieve a feedback from Erik on the IDN charter. IESG and IAB has some
>serious concern on the charter and suggested the following modification.
>
>The main modification is an addition of a paragraph:
>
>"A fundamental requirement in this work is to not disturb the current
>use and operation of the domain name system, and for the DNS to
>continue to allow any system anywhere to resolve any domain names."

I would like to clearify the above sentence. As it stands now it can be
interpreted as something that may make international domain names
impossible.

Write like:

A fundamental requirement in this work is to not disturb the current
use and operation of the domain name system, and for the current
implementation of DNS to continue to allow any system anywhere
to resolve any domain name using ASCII only names. To get full semantics
(like case-insensitive matches) for international domain names an
upgrade of DNS software may be needed.

-
I see no way we can get all requirements of international domain
names to work with current implementations of the DNS.

   Dan