Re: This WG in context of RFC 2277

At 08:53 27.01.00 +0800, James Seng wrote:
>RFC2277, if I am not wrong is a BCP, not a Standard RFC.

RFC 2277 specifies requirements that the IESG will apply to protocols that
appear before them for approval. Thus, it is not a standard, but has the
effect of determining what can be a standard.
The Internet Standards Process itself is a BCP.

I have not mentioned RFC 2277 in this discussion, because I think this
particular application is fundamental enough that the issue deserves a full
airing; if the group comes to a well-defended conclusion that UTF-8 is the
Wrong Thing for the DNS, and should therefore NOT be used, we have to
initiate a procedure to replace RFC 2277.

That said, I think this is not a terribly likely outcome.

                         Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no