RE: This WG in context of RFC 2277

At 10:23 AM 1/27/00 -0800, Andrew Draper wrote:
>But this brings out another important point.  Is "should try hard not to
>change other protocols" a requirement of the internationalised DNS protocol
>or not?  I would argue that it isn't.

And I would argue vociferously that it is. Having domain names that can be
used in some applications but not others completely breaks a fundamental
assumption of Internet users.

I'm not sure how the IETF would tell someone who chose Dûrst.com as their
ISP "but you can't send email to some people because including your domain
name in the message headers will break their software" of "you can't get a
digital certificate for system because compliant certificate processors
will reject it".

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium