Re: This WG in context of RFC 2277

> > This is a major work item for the IETF which impacts a lot of things. One
> > can not, I repeat not, "just" fix things by storing things in DNS and hope
> > that applications using domainnames can handle some encoding....
>
> I have to emphasize that I said that we should REVIEW the RFCs. I don't see
> that we SHOULD update all other protocol that exists in the world....

I think this WG would be remiss if we did not at least offer some specific
suggestions on how the IDNs would impact and/or be supported by the more
thorny protocols. If we don't do that, the IDN recommendations are likely to
be unimplementable. The thorniest of all, of course, is E-mail.

(In fact, the untold pain I have to go through today to support multiple
character sets in E-mail headers is all the argument I need to require that
IDNs use a carefully specified subset of Unicode blocks, UTF-8 encoded.)

<csg>