WG Review: Internationalized Domain Name System (idn)

Haven't seen this yet on this list.
Glad to see that things are moving.

Harald/Patrick: Are we supposed to do anything, send comments
(of course positive ones :-) somewhere? It says 'review', but
not how that's supposed to be happening.

Regards,   Martin.

> To: IETF-Announce: ;
> cc: new-work@ietf.org
> Subject: WG Review: Internationalized Domain Name System (idn)
> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:12:47 -0500
> From: Steve Coya <scoya@cnri.reston.va.us>
>

> A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.
> The IESG has not made any determination as yet.
>
> The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
> informational purposes only:
>
>  Mailing Lists:
>      General Discussion:idn@ops.ietf.org
>      Archive:           ftp://ops.ietf.org/pub/lists/idn*
>
> Description of Working Group:
>
> The goal of the group is to investigate and specify the requirements for
> supporting internationalized domain names.
>
> The scope of the group is to investigate the possible means of doing
> this and what technical impact they will have on the users of such names
> and on other users and administrators of the domain name system.
>
> The group will not address the question of what, if any, body should
> administer or control usage of names that use this functionality.
>
> The Action Item(s) for the Working Group are
>
>  1. An Informational RFC specifying the requirements for encoding
>     International characters into DNS names and records. The document
>     should provide guidance for development solutions to this problem,
>     taking localized (e.g. writing order) and related operational issues
>    into consideration.
>
>  2. An Informational RFC or RFC's documenting the various proposals
>     and Implementations of Internationalization (i18n) of Domain Names.
>     The document(s) should also provide a technical evaluation of the
>     proposals by the Working Group.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org