Re: Localization issues: (WAS alpha v0.2)

At 04:11 PM 1/25/00 +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>Since most encoding systems (including the Unicode default) use "logical
>order" as the default direction (that is, left-to-right encoded left
>character first, right-to-left encoded right character first), my gut
>feeling is exactly the opposite: Encode in logical order always.

Yes, but we also have to look at how internal formatting is applied if it
is allowed. Unicode does allow you to say "reverse the following characters
on display". There are pages and pages of mind-numbing explanation in the
Unicode standard on this. We may want to disallow direction-changing within
a domain part.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium