Re: Matching and comparison

At 09:13 00/01/22 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> At 02:13 PM 1/22/00 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:

> > > But we will have to tell everyone (or at least developers) enough to help
> > > enter internationalized characters that end users don't understand. That
> > > is, if I see a URL with hiragana in it, I should at least have a chance of
> > > entering it correctly even if I don't understand Japanese.
> >
> >I don't think an implementer of a DNS front-end should have to
> >care about this. This is an operating system/window system issue.
>
> You're missing my point. I don't want to tell systems how to enter the
> characters, but I do think we need to specify what can and cannot be
> entered. I see this as a two step process: canonicalize, then reject if
> there are forbidden characters.

Yes. The question is where this should occur. My guess is that
canonicalization has to occur on registration and on user input,
but rejection of forbidden characters may work even if it's
done only on registration.

> >I wouldn't make 'apply canonical normalization' a requirement.
> >if you want the relevant requirements, I suggest we take them
> >from http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-charreq, section 2 and 3
> >(or just point to them). That were, indirectly, the requirements
> >for canonical normalization.
>
> I don't think we're being truthful by doing "indirect" requirements. Your
> requirements document was written in a different political environment than
> this one. Maybe they're similar, but I certainly hope not.

You retracted that comment a bit. I just want to say I wasn't
asking for just copying requirements from that document to
ours, but just to have a look at it for the kinds of requirements
that we might want to put down.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org