Re: Fwd: Eeek - .NU Domains using Ö, Ä , Å - And More

Clarifying question:

Isn't the number "2" an ASCII character? Would it not be necessary to mix
ASCII/numeric characters with Thai, Cyrillic, and Hangul characters? So -
ASCII characters need to be able to mix with all characters, yes?

Are there any similar possibilities required among the non-ASCII
scripts/characters listed below?

Bill Semich

At 10:22 PM 1/8/00 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
>At 13:36 00/01/08 +0800, James Seng wrote:
>
>> I think I18N Domain Names must allow mix language characters,
>> even across different character set.
>
>James - What do you mean with 'character set' in this context?
>As we are working on requirements, and don't want to discuss
>too much about encoding yet, it's difficult for me to understand.
>
>I agree with you that it has to be possible to mix characters
>from different languages and scripts in a domain name.
>
>What I think we should discuss a bit more is whether it is needed,
>from an usage viewpoint, to allow to mix different scripts
>*in a single label*. Let's for a moment exclude the border cases,
>and take some clear examples:
>
>- Is it necessary to be able to mix Thai letters and Hiragana
>  in a single label?
>
>- Is it necessary to be able to mix Cyrillic and Arabic characters
>  in a single label?
>
>- Is it necessary to be able to mix Chinese Hanzi and Hebrew
>  in a single label?
>
>- Is it necessary to be able to mix Korean Hangul and Egyptian
>  hieroglyphs in a single label? (once the later are defined)
>
>What does everybody think?
>

>Regards,   Martin.
>

>#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
>#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org

Bill Semich
President and Founder
.NU Domain Ltd