Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-addcon WGLC

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 01:15:01PM -0800, Fred Baker wrote:
> This is to announce a working group last call of http://
> tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-addcon
>
> Please read the draft at this time, noting spelling or wording issues
> to the authors and substantive issues to the authors copying the list.
>
> Working Group last call will close in two weeks.

I had the Registration Services folks here at ARIN review the document,
as they are more aware of the address assignment considerations that I
am. The only comment is as follows:

IPv6 Unicast Address Assignment Considerations writes:

2.4.1.  Sizing the Network Allocation

   We do not discuss here how a network designer sizes their application
   for address space.  By default a site will receive a /48 prefix [8].
   The default provider allocation via the RIRs is currently a /32 [28].
   These allocations are indicators for a first allocation for a
   network.  Different sizes may be obtained based on the anticipated
   address usage [28].  There are examples of allocations as large as
   /19 having been made from RIRs to providers at the time of writing.

The second sentence isn't really true in the ARIN policy set. Our policy
recommends:

"/56 for small sites, those expected to need only a few subnets over the
next 5 years."

cf. http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six54

The second sentence should be either struck or amended to reflect /56 for
the ARIN region.