Re: draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02.txt

On 12 jul 2006, at 15.26, Thomas Narten wrote:

FYI, draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02.txt was submitted just
prior to the ID cutoff, and the authors believe it is ready for
publication as an RFC. We are in discussion with the ADs about having
the document shepherded through the IESG as an informational document.
Note that this document would formally replace RFC3177.

Comments welcome of course!

I think this should head to the IESG. Upon re-reading it I found one small issue though.

3.  Other RFC 3177 considerations

RFC3177 suggested that some multihoming approaches (e.g., GSE) might
   benefit from having a fixed /48 boundary. This no longer appears to
   be a consideration. There is no such requirement coming out of the
   IETF multi6 or shim6 efforts.

I think we can take the last sentence out. Mostly as we are seeing several parallel solutions being pursued and deployed, such as shim6, PI space and more specific PAs.

I don't believe this should go into the document, but I will also offer the observation that in some of the RIR regions the end-site allocation size have impacts on the LIRs relationship to the RIR - and this 'rule' has the potential for creating artificial complexity in that area.

- kurtis -