Re: Review of draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-02.txt

Tony Hain wrote:
Margaret,
The text sent out on 6/13 was mid-edit session, basically looking to get
comments about the tone changes wrt marketing. The completed edit is
attached with the diff, though I have not passed this by the other authors
yet.

I think this version is greatly improved.

    Brian

 I had planned to do that when I finished today, but your note appeared
to need a prompt response so you all get it at once.
I made a number of grammatical changes and reordered some areas to make the
points clearer. Most of the marketing comments are gone, but in their place
is a statement that points out that most users of nat do not evaluate the
technical trade-offs and are not even made aware of the problems they will
encounter. I also changed the tone in some areas from one of offering a
choice between approaches to one that explains how those approaches work.
The 'offer' tone appears to have left the IESG with the perception that the
approaches were speculative.

One thing to highlight here though is that there appears to be an
expectation that this document is a BCP, when all along it has been
informational. If a BCP is the goal then substantial changes will be
required. As information, it covers the range of approaches that people need
to be aware of.
The portability you reference below is not a nat feature. The only 'real'
advantage to nat is the expansion of the address space. The reduction of
impact on the routing system has more to do with insistence on ISP based
aggregates that would go away with other aggregation units. Unfortunately
people prefer a challenge and would rather engineer a non-deployable
work-around to a problem-of-choice than discuss the fundamental issues or
alternatives.
I expect there will need to be some discussion in the WG to make sure it
covers the issues before we present this to the IESG again, though I do
believe it addresses all the comments.

Tony