Re: Review of draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-02.txt

Havard Eidnes read the numbers a little closer than I did: yes, 10^38 is approximately 2^128.

I think the point remains that the requirement originally stated was this:

   CRITERION
      The IPng Protocol must scale to allow the identification and
      addressing of at least 10**12 end systems (and preferably much
      more).  The IPng Protocol, and its associated routing protocols
and architecture must allow for at least 10**9 individual networks
      (and preferably more).  The routing schemes must scale at a rate
      that is less than the square root of the number of constituent
      networks [10].

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1726.txt
1726 Technical Criteria for Choosing IP The Next Generation (IPng). C.
     Partridge, F. Kastenholz. December 1994. (Format: TXT=74109 bytes)

Without running through all the history, and the arguments of whether in 2006 the numbers selected in 1994 are adequate, the fact is that we support a very large number of enumerable networks, on the order of the square of the original requirement, and not only do we support 10^12 hosts in the address space, we support that many and quite a few more on each LAN.

Yes, we support about 3 * 10^38 addresses in the address space. That is a mathematically accurate statement.

I think the point you're asking is "does that mean we should throw the addresses away with both hands?". And I would say, no, that's what we did with the IPv4 address space, and we eventually learned the error of those ways. It does make sense to think about rational- sized address blocks, but frankly I would expect that this is more of an RIR issue than an IETF issue. They are currently handing out /32s to ISPs, and more if the ISPs can justify it. That means that they are allowing for ~4 billion address allocations, each of which is presumably enough for 2^16 ISP customers, each of which potentially has 2^16 LANs. I do believe that there is a question of market dynamics there - if the customer is unlikely to create more than 256 LANs, selling them a /56 makes sense, and helps with the overall address usage density, and if the customer really only needs a single /64 or to be a member of a /64, I think those should be options the customer can buy. saying "ISPs should only ever under any circumstances hand out a /48" seems a trifle over the top.

And I do remember this thing about CIDR, that it removed the classful address straight-jacket, which at least at the time some of us thought was a good thing, and I wonder why we seem to be re-creating it here. But that wasn't your question.