Re: AW: Guidelines for Numbering IPv6 Point-to-Point Links and Easing the Addressing Plans

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:30:09AM -0500, Fred Baker wrote:
> My assumption as a routing geek is that the only reasonable use of a
> numbered point to point link is to address an end station; it needs
> an address to be useful in the network. But any router/router point-
> to-point interface should be supportable using link-local addresses.

And my experience as a routing operator/geek says that traceroute must
work. "unnumbered" links are a pain to no end in day-to-day ops.

When I was last working for a large ISP we had one in-country sub-ISP in
Sweden who used unnumbered p2p links to customer CPEs. No end of pain
with monitoring and troubleshooting.

Regards,
Daniel

--