RE: Flow label and its uses

You are missing nothing.

Frankly, I don't believe in using this field as a locally significant
switching shortcut (like a label in MPLS). We have MPLS, we have VPLS,
we have their ethernet variants using information from the Ethernet
headers. I think we have enough tools to get the job done and we don't
need another tool.

This is why I think we should label this field as Reserved so that if we
run out of bits in the header for other apps, we can use these 20 bits.

Regards

Bora