Re: IPv6 Security Overview

Vishwas Manral wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> I think I agree with Francis, that it doesn't really matter.
>> However, it is probably worth noting that your check does not
>> prevent the attack either. If you can find 128 live addresses
>> on either side of the router you can carry out the attack
>> without listing any address twice.
>>
>> (I guess you might want to use a routing header that traverses
>> a single router a few times to get a better estimate of the RTT
>> through that router.)
> That is a very interesting point and I did not see it that way. However
> we should note down the attack in the draft even if we do not know how
> best to solve it (we are tracking security considerations for IPv6).

If you want to 'solve' this attack then *IGNORE* the Routing Header.
Or at least sent a ICMP parameter problem back to the sending host.

One can always do a traceroute and use the path shown in reverse or a
bit mixed to create a nice loop already.

Personally I don't see much use for a Routing Header but there are
apparently folks who have a use for them other than abuse.

Greets,
 Jeroen