Objectives discussion

Hi,

I think we need to start analyzing the objectives,
starting from a high level. The list of objectives
is conflicting in places, and some objectives will
cost way more than others to achieve. There are obviously
many conflicting viewpoints represented in the objectives,
and this is the source of the problem.

I think there are high-level decisions to make that will help
manage all these individual objectives, based on the primary
goals of each WG member. It would be nice to know what
the WG consensus is on the following -- maybe at the extremes,
but likely somewhere in the middle for all of them:

1) don't want to change anything  ... want to start over

2) keep the SMI data model ... replace the SMI data model

3) keep the SMI look-and-feel ... replace the SMI look-and-feel

4) don't merge SMI and SPPI ... merge SMI and SPPI

5) don't care about independent protocol mappings ... must support
   independent protocol mappings at any cost

6) optimize for human usability ... optimize for machine usability

I made it clear where I stand by writing the SMI-DS draft.
Hopefully, the rest of the WG will start speaking up as well.

thanks,
Andy