Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > From: Stephen Sprunk <stephen@sprunk.org>

    > We _already_ have a scalable solution that requires end-sites to
    > renumber: RFC 4192. The target market rolled their eyes and got the
    > RIRs to change policy to allow PI assignments in IPv6 .. rather than
    > even give it a try because the very concept was so unacceptable.

This message triggered a rather depressing thought.

As long as the registries continue to hand out PI space, and as long as the
ISP's continue to accept and advertise them, most of this whole RRF effort is
an utter waste of time. (Specifically, any designs which assume *any* effort
on the part of users/etc are total non-starters.)

I think that's excessively pessimistic. Large end-user orgs are looking for some way to minimize renumbering and avoid provider lock-in. Today, the only technical solution which offers those features is PI space. And, to be fair, the RIRs have set a minimum bar on the folks who can get PIv6 space in response to ISPs' concerns about routing table growth.

If some alternate scheme existed which did not require a DFZ slot for every org with PI space by turning it into EID space, then we could solve that problem as well as remove (or at least lower significantly) the bar required to get some, which means _more_ orgs could multi-home at _lower_ global cost. To me, that is the potential benefit behind what RRG is doing.

Note that this does not _require_ that end-user orgs do any of the work. Their ISPs could, if they were motivated, accept their PI/EID space via BGP and push it into the mapping system and run a set of anycast ITRs, which advertised only the entire EID block. Those of us in the RIRs have helped facilitate this, to a degree, by mandating that PIv6 assignments be made out blocks be distinct from those used for PAv6, which means that it's a five-line ACL to block _all_ PIv6 space from _all_ RIRs in the DFZ. However, there must be an alternate way for their traffic to get through before that's feasible.