Huh? Was: Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

On 21 aug 2008, at 3:50, Yakov Rekhter wrote:

1. Do folks agree that to get to the point where 2^48 PI spaces
would become a reality is likely to require *massive* deployment of
v6-to-v4 NAT ?

The question doesn't make sense. If it starts raining an ocean per second, do we need fluorescent lighting?

NAT gives you stable internal addressing. This doesn't solve the renumbering problem, because the hard part is the view that external entities have of your addresses, which NAT can't hide.

PI gives you stable external as well as internal addressing. So you don't need NAT for the latter part.

On a really bad day I may imagine that every person on the world has their own PI block, but that's still only some 2^33, not 2^48. (Which is the difference between "a router so expensive that no single country will ever be able to afford it" and "a router running so hot that there's not enough sunlight hitting the earth to power it" = no real difference in practice, but still quite a few orders of magnitude.)