Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

Yes, Tony. I followed you there, and tried to address it when I said
that there is no business case for the large end user to renumber so it
just isn't going to happen.

I fault the IETF (and RRG) for consistently failing to recognize some
exceedingly elementary economics: if you want to stay in business, then
you don't waste money on needless non-business expenses. Therefore, if
anybody is going to renumber, it will be an organization that has a
positive business case to do so, such as an ISP.

Eric, let me ask a question to you, as you represent a large enterprise site.

If you knew you could get more bandwidth out of *all* your SP links by renumbering, would that be considered that a business expense?

And if you knew you could get more bandwidth out of your links by also being a good net citizen by not injecting non-aggregatable routes into the core, would they weight into your decision to spend effort deploying a Loc/ID split solution?

Let's change topics slightly to talk a bit more about elementary
economics. End users pay ISPs for their Internet connectivity. It is
therefore the ISP's responsibility to deliver Internet connectivity. If
they can't, then they will go out of business. ISPs are therefore

But it's not binary. I believe the question is how well do they provide connectivity. Do they provide good service. Is the pain of staying with an SP worth the gain. Or if the pain is so high, you are stuck and can't change.

motivated to eventually solve the Internet scaling problem -- whether
publicly or privately -- because they know that if they don't deliver

I don't think that's true. Don't forget they are in business just like you are. Of course they want the Internet scale so they have a product to sell, but that is more long-term. I think most businesses think long-term but act in the short-term.

So the fact that SPs accept PI prefixes and/or long PA prefixes is a fact that they care about getting customers before scalability.

effective Internet connectivity, then the end users will use some other ISP or, worse case, develop alternative marketplaces that exclude them. Only a suicidal ISP would dare to suggest that a large end user renumber
as part of an ISP solution because that would negatively differentiate

But they require a site to renumber when the site disconnects from them.

Dino