RE: [RRG] thoughts on the design space 4: encapsulate vs. translate

|My implication was that that was a long time ago and the number of
|hosts have grown maybe 4 orders of magnitude, and I am conservative
|with my exponent.

Fair.  I think it's also fair to assert that the number of identifiers that
we need to support is linear with the number of hosts (and thus hostnames)
that we need to support.

Further, we can assert that DNS supports mappings of this scale and does so
in a caching fashion.  However, DNS is NOT invoked for anonymous
transactions and if it was, it would not scale appropriately.  Imagine
Google doing a reverse DNS lookup on every packet it receives, for example.

Do folks agree?

Tony