Re: [RRG] Opportunistic Topological Aggregation in the RIB->FIB Calculation?

On 22 jul 2008, at 2:17, William Herrin wrote:

The RIB cost grows with the width of the system times the number of
entries. The system width is staying relatively static (and that's
expected to continue), so the growth cost is close to linear with the
number of entries. We already know that a $5k ($2k if you're on a
budget) Linux server running Quagga can keep up with 10 times the
entries and churn. With PC hardware's price/performance doubling every
3 years, we haven't long to wait before it can easily handle 100 times
the entries and churn that we have today.

100 times the entries * 100 times the churn = 10000 times the processing. I'm afraid that your DRAM isn't going to keep up with that in a traditional design.

However, route processing isn't inherently serial. So it should be possible to make a route processor that has 100 systems-on-a-chip that all process 1% of the routing table. Of course current BGP isn't particularly suitable for that, but I don't see a reason why changes that allow parallel BGP processing can't be made.