[RRG] RE: Abstraction action boundary & geo-aggregation router behavior

Hi Robin,

|If this was a maths class, I would be sure that this Friday's test
|would include questions on "abstraction action boundary" and
|"abstraction naming boundary"!

;-)  Indeed.  Those are Noel-ism's as you've found out, and they're
absolutely necessary to talk about aggregation in a meaningful way.

|Perhaps you could give a more concrete example of how you envisage
|routers behaving in a geographic address aggregation setting - in
|particular by explaining what you mean by "abstraction action
|boundary" and by giving some examples of the geographical limits and
|addressing arrangements of a "geo-patch".  Diagrams would really
|help me.

Sure.  Again, let me focus on continental level aggregation, as I don't
believe that fine-grained geographic addressing buys you much at all.

Let me continue the previously suggested example where Canada is assigned a
prefix.  For the sake of discussion, let's suppose that it's assigned a /8.
Now, let's say that we will use this prefix as the abstraction and that the
naming boundary will be the political boundaries of Canada.  Any site within
that region is welcome to request a prefix (subject to the usual rules) from
that block.

We can now place the abstraction action boundary remotely.  Let's say it's
at the geographical edge of North America.  Thus, longer prefixes for this
block would extend throughout the continental USA and Mexico.  However, more
specifics wouldn't leave the continental shelf.

The benefit here is that routing table space is preserved outside of the
action boundary, while within the action boundary, traffic engineering is
preserved.

Note that unlike small scale geographic addressing, there is no central
traffic exchange required.  Folks are still permitted to extend more
specifics outside of the naming boundary so that the entry points can still
be carefully directed when at a distance from the abstraction that makes
sense.

Tony