Re: [RRG] Geographic aggregation-based routing is at odds with reality

On 18 jul 2008, at 11:03, Robin Whittle wrote:

For any proposal, there must be some level of requisite upgrades to
humanity and organisational behaviour at which you consider the
proposal to be unworkable.

I think geo-aggregation for the purpose of solving the routing
scaling problem is far over that line.

Have you read my draft? The only thing that it _requires_ is that the RIRs start giving out address space with geography in mind. I don't think this requires upgrading much humanity or even business processes. Actually implementing the aggregation then has some business impact (going from hot potato to cold potato) but since every AS can decide for itself if and when to do this, that's simply a tradeoff: what's cheaper: transporting traffic over some distance, or buying bigger routers?

http://www.muada.com/drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi6-isp-int-aggr-01.txt

BTW, has anyone considered the issue where large international organizations with many offices may want to advertise a prefix for each office rather than a single one for the entire organization?