Re: [RRG] Re: Should the identifier be used as local locator

On Jul 4, 2008, at 3:53 AM, RJ Atkinson wrote:

Earlier Xu XiaoHu wrote:
% Take GSE/ILNP as an example, the so-called identifier
% is still used as routing hint in the site networks, ...

Hi,

The note referenced above does not correctly describe ILNP.
I'll leave it to others as to whether it correctly describes GSE.

I'm afraid that XiaoHu's statement is *not* a correct description of GSE either.

In GSE, the IPv6 address is divided into 3 parts:

    +-------------------------+
    |   RG   | STP|    ESD    |
    +--------+----+-----------+

RG is for global routing, STP (site topology partition) is used for local routing (inside a site). ESD, End System Designator, is assumed to be a globally unique node identifier, and is not used as routing hint in the site.

BTW here is what I got from other msgs on this thread, that is MAC address is not an ideal node ID in the strict sense, as it is associated with a specific interface, while hosts are increasingly multihomed today.

There are really two issues:
1/ the need for a unique node ID
2/ an engineering judgment call of whether one could borrow MAC address
   to serve the above purpose.
   (this is similar to the existing TCP design of borrowing IP
    address as part of TCP's connection ID)

2/ represents an engineering tradeoff because the borrowing saves the trouble of managing another new ID space.

Lixia