Re: [RRG] Moving forward... IPv4 now, IPv6 less urgent and perhaps more ambitious

Bill,

On Jun 10, 2008, at 3:08 PM, William Herrin wrote:
Please excuse my temporary insanity while I step way outside the box.

Don't worry, been there myself. The view is nice, but watch that first step... :-)

Set up some sort of central route policy authority, CRPA.

"First, boil the ocean."  :-)

As I responded to someone else privately, back when this was discussed in PIARA and CIDRD, the sticking point was generally along the lines of none of the big players were interested in jumping into something that required cooperation with competitors when they could just as easily spend money to upgrade their routers (with the possibility that their competitors couldn't and thus would cease to be competitors). To get something like this to work, you need to have some sort of enforcement mechanism, which generally implies governmental entities. One could argue that the RIRs could be the enforcer, but no one (at the time) felt it a good idea to give the RIRs that much power over routing.

I don't think things have changed all that much in this respect (although perhaps with the RPKI stuff...)

With such a system in place, it's only a matter of time before folks
start filtering on RIR minimums and/or filtering distant prefixes
based on their presence or absence from CRPA.

Without the CRPA, you'll get this anyway as ISPs act to protect their own infrastructure. I'm not sure this is a desirable outcome. You can either make people pay for their use of the commons or figure out how to reduce the impact of use of the commons. Routing settlements is the former. I believe a better choice going forward is the latter.

Regards,
-drc