Re: [RRG] Moving forward...

On 9 jun 2008, at 1:03, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

At current rates of deaggregation we can build routers with a FIB that
can handle the entire IPv4 unicast space as /24s before we've used up
and deaggregated the entire IPv4 unicast space as /24s.

Wait a minute. Wouldn't the *entire* space put us well above 10 million
/24s?

1 - 223 /8 - RFC 1918 and 127 = 14479104 /24s...

Are you saying that we can definitely build routers that could
handle say, 10 million NATted /24s, so that all small and medium
businesses can multihome?

Not "definitely" but certainly with a reasonable level of confidence, yes. Vendors say they can to 2M now, this is only a factor 7 more, that's 2^3, Moore should take care of that in 5 years, so doing this within 10 years should be easy.

It's the number of deaggregated prefixes that seems to matter.

Well the address length may have some iportance (radix tree for 128- bit values isn't much fun compared to 32 bits) but yes, the number of prefixes is the most important thing.

Also note that 95% of all announcements is for 6% of the address space. When push comes to shove being able to reach 95% of the internet may not seem like a bad deal and suddenly a turn-of-the-century router can keep
up again.

Is it OK if only 95% of telephones can be called, too?

If people in the 5% can renumber into the 95%, sure.

(BTW, I get the person that I want to talk to on the line WAY less often than 95% of the time already.)

In addition, client/server works quite well with the clients on v6 and
the servers on v4, even today. For peer-to-peer stuff this is a bit
harder but with IETF work like ICE this is relatively easy to fix.

Yes, but that's just part of any v4/v6 coexistence model. Why is
it relevant here?

Because if/when it's widely adopted, clients needing an address will no longer be a factor in the use of IPv4 addresses.