[RRG] complexity metric

Hi folks-

I heard this paper this morning at NSDI and am forwarding it to this list in the hopes that it might provide help when comparing different algorithmic approaches. YMMV.

--aaron

NetComplex: A Complexity Metric for Networked System Designs
Byung-Gon Chun, ICSI; Sylvia Ratnasamy, Intel Research Berkeley; Eddie Kohler, University of California, Los Angeles

Abstract
The systems and networking community treasures “simple” system designs, but our evaluation of system simplicity often relies more on intuition and qualitative discussion than rigorous quantitative metrics. In this paper, we develop a prototype metric that seeks to quantify the notion of algorithmic complexity in networked system design. We evaluate several networked system designs through the lens of our proposed complexity metric and demonstrate that our metric quantitatively assesses solutions in a manner compatible with informally articulated design intuition and anecdotal evidence such as real-world adoption.

http://www.usenix.org/events/nsdi08/tech/full_papers/chun/chun.pdf