Re: [RRG] Mobility, update rates & charging per update

On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:37 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:

Joel,

They are both valid concerns.  But I think they are two different
dimensions.

Right. Thanks for explaining this so clearly.

And I agree with Robin that mobility does not have to imply change of
the tunnel router endpoint. This does reduce mapping changes. However,
I'll note that administrative boundary crossings are quite typical even
in situations where you don't move a lot physically. E.g., from my
office to the city and then to my home; not far away physically, but
they reside in very different places in the Internet topology.

There is also the pesky "capture effect" in wireless systems in the seams between two competing service providers. In the early days of GSM, the provider in one country would try to "reach across the border" simply in order to cause calls to roam internationally. It reportedly took some hard political work on the MOU to stamp that process out and have fair rules for node capture at the seams.

I don't think this necessarily has to affect the mobility update rate, but it does given a policy dimension to the hysteresis.

Speaking as an individual, I frankly would prefer we did not address mobility in this RRG effort.

(In any case, what I am looking forward from the RRG or anyone who is
working in this space is a solution to the routing scalability problem.
I don't have a solution for that. I do have plenty of solutions for the
mobility problem, however, some deployed some not. I have a hard time
believing mobility is going to be the deciding factor with regards to a
new routing architecture. Lets see a working routing architecture first.
Just a personal opinion...)

Jari