RE: [RRG] Are host-stack modifications allowed or disallowed ?

|>  [...] Why now?  What's changed?
|
|BGP communities

That's part of the existing architecture, not anything new.

|CDNs (e.g. Akamai)

Interesting, but I'm missing on how that's relevant.  Akamai plays a lot of
DNS (and other) games to redirect you to your nearest server with the
relevant content.  I'd claim that's more of a highly granular anycast result
more than a specific routing result.

|InterNAP-style optimized BGP

And that's proven to be a very small exception, with a relatively small user
base.  Not really a cry for changing the architecture.

Tony