Re: [RRG] Are host-stack modifications allowed or disallowed ?

Ran,

> B) Other folks on this list (e.g. Jari) believe that the Routing RG
> can select an approach requiring host stack changes because
> that is done by the IETF in the ordinary course of IETF work.

(I only found time to read this thread now. Sorry for the delay.)

For clarification, what I stated earlier was said in the context of the
question "can we change IPv6". I replied that we can, and that its daily
business to change/extend IPv4, IPv6, and various other protocols that
we care for, when backwards compatibility is not too badly hurt.

However, I also added that you have sell the RRG the idea that such
extensions are going to be deployed in the context of a specific
proposal. I do not want to preclude any particular type of a solution,
but I at least want be make very sure that any solution brought forward
can actually be deployed. As we have seen not just with host based
approach but also router based approaches, the deployment/incentive
issues are hard.  Many of the approaches are struggling with this.

Jari