Re: [RRG] getting rid of longest match

On Feb 25, 2008, at 1:17 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

After yesterday's YouTube/Pakistan Telecom debacle, I was thinking, not for the first time, that the longest match first rule is more trouble than it's worth.

I think it would probably be possible to get rid of it, although that would be a it tricky. The only place you really need overlapping prefixes in the table is your own BGP aggregate vs internal more specifics. But that should be solvable.

Question for the hardware people: would this help with FIB lookups?

Possibly. It very much depends on what alternate algorithm you use to resolve overlap.

Tony