Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

On 2008-2-18, at 17:22, ext Eliot Lear wrote:
Yes, this is why I did NERD. But let's please make a distinction between delay and drop. I think they can and should be viewed separately.

From a transport perspective, it matters whether delay can cause packet reordering to happen or not.

If not, the only effect will be, er, more delay. If yes, to most transports the reordering will look like a loss and cause a congestion control response. Which will decrease performance more than delay without reordering would.

Lars