Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

Stig,

On Feb 17, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Stig Venaas wrote:
My experience is that some applications don't handle delayed or dropped
initial packets all that well.

Which applications?

Anyway, this bring me back to the point I made earlier, that we really
would need to look at some applications.

Indeed. And what it would take to get said applications to tolerate an initial packet delay better.

I guess you have some knowledge how say BIND behaves?

I had some knowledge of how a previous incarnation of BIND behaved about 5 years ago. BIND has evolved in the face of real-life Internet considerations.

E.g., it looks like the host command will wait for
5s if the first request is dropped. Is a 5s delay to DNS lookups
acceptable?

Not sure it is relevant since the DNS makes assumptions that would not necessarily hold in a pull-based mapping system for EID/LOC separation, e.g., a 5 second time out that can be interrupted by the user can be acceptable.

Regards,
-drc