Re: [RRG] ALT's strong aggregation often leads to *very* long paths

Hi Noel,

I am keen to know what you and others think of my critique of ALT's
core design principle of strong address aggregation being at odds
with the need for short total path lengths.

  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg00229.html
  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg00237.html

In two days only two people - Xiaohu Xu and K. Sriram - have
commented on it.

Likewise my constructive critique of ALT + NERD, which points out
deficiencies and proposes a series of improvements:

  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg00176.html
  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg00189.html

That was nine days ago.

Only Eliot Lear and David Meyer responded to this critique, and so
far no-one has debated the merits of the series of improvements I
suggest, starting with the desirability of local query servers in or
near NERD ITRs to support caching ITRs.

Since most attention on this list is focussed on LISP, I would have
thought that more people would have something to say about these
critiques.

ALT is a network of routers.  CONS didn't refer to its CDRs and CARs
as "routers", but like ALT's routers, they formed a mesh and/or tree
structure for passing messages back and forth between ITRs and ETRs,
with each making some decisions about which neighbouring device to
send the message to.  In that way, I think CONS much more resembles
a network of routers and the ALT network than does DNS.

  - Robin