Re: [RRG] ALT + NERD is inelegant & inefficient, compared to APT or Ivip

Robin,
What do you think of the idea of making that query server function
available to nearby devices?

I ponder this in the NERD draft if one presumes that one loads "near" databases and uses ALT or CONS for "far" networks. A simpler approach, however, given the lower volume of data, would be to receive ALL databases, and keep them in a secondary cache or storage, and then keep the query on the box.

I think this would be an enhancement to the NERD architecture - to
allow for this, enabling operators to do it when it made sense to them.

I remain averse to delay. Even the above scheme would require architectural changes, and would impose delay for cache misses, but those cache misses would be extremely small. I also remain averse to mechanisms where an inability to complete a query due to a device failure would cause either yet more delay or a mapping failure. With NERD, the worst that happens is that you use the old mapping for a time.

And indeed I am engineering a solution that does not require host granularity. I believe mechanisms such as HIP and MIPv6 need to be improved to scale to address that problem.

But that's me.

Eliot