Re: [RRG] The use of UDP in LISP

Hi,

On 2007-12-13, at 20:49, ext Dino Farinacci wrote:
That pretty much leaves these options on how to go forward:

* use UDP with checksums
* use UDP-Lite with minimal checksum coverage
* push to update RFC2460, then use UDP with no checksums
* use a different protocol than UDP for tunneling

1, 2, and 4 are non-starters. The only option is 3 IMO.

I wouldn't want to eliminate 2 or 4 immediately.

IMO, 4 is an option, because UDP was explicitly designed as an end-to- end protocol, i.e., not something that routers would need to implement on the line card. If I correctly remember the discussions around removing the IPv6 checksum and making transport checksums mandatory, the desire to remove the IPv6 checksum was exactly to simplify router processing, and shift the checksumming burden to the end hosts.

The issue we're running in now is that UDP's apparent attractiveness as a router tunneling scheme conflicts with these earlier design decisions. The reasons I have heard for why UDP is the right choice for this are middlebox traversal and load-balancing. The former shouldn't be an issue for LISP, because we're talking about router- router tunnels. (AMT may be different.) The second can be achieved through other means for another tunneling protocol.

Further, 2 is IMO an option, because I find it personally completely acceptable that a major revamp of the routing architecture of the Internet will require minor modifications to line cards. I know that I'll get strong disagreement for this position, but I always felt that the statement that LISP wouldn't require hardware modifications was optimistic, and made at a time when the full consequences of the proposal weren't understood

I have no preference among those four.

That's good. Now who is going to update the spec?

I provided text which Marshall has forwarded, who is going to insert it? The IPv6 working group?

A short draft needs to be written that updates RFC2460, and it will need to go through 6man and IESG approval. Your text is a good starting point, but the real work will be the consensus building required to make it go forward.

Lars