Re: [RRG] Process proposal: agenda admission control

On Dec 12, 2007, at 4:26 PM, David Meyer wrote:

	Seems a reasonable proposal. However, the devil is in the
	details (as always). One point that seems particularly
	challenging is that "if any member feels that the
	presentation..., time permitting."  Its the "time
	permitting" part that is of concern. In particular, if we
	have N proposals and M < N slots (ie., time for M talks,
	not N), and all N proposals have proponents, how do you
	envision that being resolved?

Hi Dave,

I can see a number of different approaches, depending on differing absolute and relative values of M and N. Here's some possible things that might happen:

a) Try to decrease N by elimination. This could involve more reviews of the N proposals to see which ones the program committee feels are most interesting. This might succeed if M and N differ only slightly.

b) Try to decrease N by rescheduling. Some proposals might have to wait until the next meeting.

c) Try to increase M by adding meeting time. Add more time slots at IETF, before or after IETF, or an outright interim meeting.

d) Something that we haven't thought of yet.

Obviously, this is something of a judgement call that we will have to make when we have both M and N in hand and can see the presentations.

Just to reiterate, please note that this process applies to *new* proposals.

Regards,
Tony